Thursday 8 December 2011

Taking A Step Back

I felt I had to write a quick post about something I was thinking about today. . .

Our family received a Christmas card today from a family that we have known for years and years and have kept in touch with them since we moved from Enniskillen in 2001. The family consists of a Dad, Mum and two sisters. About two years ago we found out that the dad of the family had cancer in his mouth. It was a very challenging time for them and involved a risky operation on his tongue and mouth and he depended on them for a long time. However he was recovering well.
  Then today, in the card they explained that the tumour was back and that he was terminally ill. He now can't swallow, talk, eat or drink. This really upset me as it's so close to Christmas and this is supposed to be a time of family and happiness. I will be thinking about them over the next coming weeks and praying that they can stay strong through this horrendous time.

It got me thinking about my last post on my blog. I'm embarrassed now about how dramatic I have been about everything going on in my life. It seems like the worst thing in the world is happening to me when in reality, I have it fairly easy. Everyone in my family is well and there have been no major dramas this year. It made me really take a step back and put things in perspective. Things are going on in other families that they have no control over and have to just put up with when it doesn't seem fair!

So yes, I am still sad and upset and it's taking a long time to get over things and used to other things. But I realise now that I should be thankful for everything I have got, especially at this time of year. You just never know what is around the corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment